Author Topic: LaunchDaemons  (Read 20838 times)

Offline realblack7

• Omniscient and stuff...
  • SuperHero Member
  • Human Instrumentality
    • View Profile
    • realblack7's Repo
  • Device: iPod Touch 1G
  • My Computer: Windows
LaunchDaemons
« on: July 25, 2011, 05:31:53 PM »
I just found the insanelyi repo the Daemon tool. it enables/disables a good amount of launchdaemons.
The best thing about this app is that you can also add daemons which ar enot in the list and it will disable them also.
My suggestion is that we put something like this in to the configurator script/UI(whatever is in the next Firmware)
so everyone can choose which he wants to disable...I thought about switches.

And for people with less knowledge we could highlight or color recommended, optional Launchdaemons(and better leave out the nogo daemons^^)
What do you think?
Creator of RealBackup: Last Updated Post | Creator of iCloud for WD Info Page | iPhone 3GS
My Repo: cydia.realblack7.bplaced.net

Offline realblack7

• SuperHero Member
  • Human Instrumentality
    • View Profile
    • realblack7's Repo
Re: LaunchDaemons
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 12:04:55 PM »
I would also test, and make a list of daemons which shouldn't or are safe to delete
Creator of RealBackup: Last Updated Post | Creator of iCloud for WD Info Page | iPhone 3GS

Offline MotionLess

• SuperHero Member
  • My epic master Obi-Brian ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 03:17:58 PM »
Good idea ! :) Happy to see you back BTW, the forums are dying without people like you or XVisionZ ;)

MetalCore Rulez D00D!

Offline realblack7

• SuperHero Member
  • Human Instrumentality
    • View Profile
    • realblack7's Repo
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 03:50:16 PM »
yeah.. i didn't had time to write much  AND i did not feel like writing, because.let's say many topics were just spam to get more replies...But i think now the forums going up again^^
I will make a list within the next days of the daemons. Maybe i can write something..maybe

Offline realblack7

• SuperHero Member
  • Human Instrumentality
    • View Profile
    • realblack7's Repo
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 03:07:39 PM »
Launchdaemons are located in: System/Library/LaunchDaemons

Safe Daemons

com.apple.DumpPanic.plist - Dumps crashes for evaluation by Apple.
com.apple.ReportCrash.(Different Things).plist - There are 5 of these daemons, and they collect data about what caused a crash, what programs were running at the time, etc.
com.apple.DumpBasebandCrash.plist - Dumps baseband crashes, which shouldn't happen during normal use. iPod touch users don't even have a baseband.
com.apple.CrashHouseKeeping.plist - Also deals with crashes.
com.apple.aslmanager.plist - This daemon manages system logs.
com.apple.syslogd.plist - Logs system events.
com.apple.powerlog.plist - This is used to monitor any incompatibilities with 3rd party chargers.
com.apple.stackshot.server.plist - This daemon's function is currently unknown, but removing it has no adverse effects on one's device. Some more information can be found here, although the page is quite echnical and isn't very useful to an end-user.
com.apple.chud.chum.plist - This daemon is thought to relate to Apple's CHUD (Computer Hardware Understanding Developer) tools. Removing this daemon will have no adverse effects on your device, unless you are a developer.
com.apple.chud.pilotfish.plist - This daemon is also thought to relate to Apple's CHUD tools. Removing this daemon will have no adverse effects on your device, unless you are a developer.
com.apple.psctl.plist - No definitive information about this daemon is currently available,but it's believed that it deals with connecting external storage devices, possibly a feature coming in new iDevices. It doesn't do anything for now, though, so feel free to delete it.
com.apple.apsd.tcpdump.en0.plist - Logs push notification errors.
com.apple.apsd.tcpdump.pdp_ip0.plist - Also believed to log push notification errors.
com.apple.tcpdump.server.plist - This daemon is apparently used to dump traffic on a network. removing this daemon has no adverse effects on one's device.
com.apple.iqagent.plist - This daemon's function is currently unknown, but removing it has no adverse effects on one's device.
com.apple.wapic.plist - Affects Chinese WiFi networks.. Remove this daemon if you don't live in China.
com.apple.marcoagent.plist - Logs errors with Wireless connections(Failed to join network "*****")
com.apple.marco.tcdump.ec0.plist - Not sure of it's purpose, but likely linked with the macroagent.plist
com.apple.storage_mounter.plist - This daemon's function is currently unknown, but it is believed that it deals with a possibly upcoming iOS feature that will allow you to use your iPhone or iPod touch in disk mode. However, for the time being it does nothing and can be safely deleted.
Conditional Daemons

com.apple.AddressBook.plist - If removed, Contacts in the Phone application will load slightly slower.Disable this if you don't care about that.
com.apple.accessoryd.plist - If removed, disables accessories like FM radio transmitters,iPhone docks, and AV cables. Accessories will be able to charge your device, but that is all they will be able to do. Remove this if you don't use any of these accessories.
com.apple.apsd.plist - If removed, Push Notifications will no longer work. Disable this if you don't use Push Notifications.
com.apple.dataaccess.dataaccessd.plist - If removed, contacts will no longer sync via Exchange or Google Sync. Disable this if you don't use those services.
com.apple.datamigrator.plist - Used to transfer contacts from SIM card to phone. iPod touch users can delete this.
com.apple.graphicsservices.sample.plist - Thought to have something to do with displaying album artwork. Works for some people without problems, but some people have encountered problems.
com.apple.racoon.plist - Used for Virtual Private Networks. Disable this daemon if you do not use any VPNs.
com.apple.UIKit.pasteboardd.plist - I believe that this daemon deals with copy/paste. If you don't find yourself using copy/paste, you can disable this daemon.
com.apple.MobileInternetSharing.plist - Used for Internet Tethering. Disable this if you have an iPod touch or if you aren't interested in tethering.
com.apple.scrod.plist - This daemon deals with Voice Control. If you don't use Voice Control, you can delete this daemon.
com.apple.VoiceOverTouch - Another Voice Control daemon.
com.apple.voiced - Yet another Voice Control daemon.
com.apple.mobile.profile_janitor.plist - This daemon apparently deals with provisioning profiles for ad-hoc app distribution. If that doesn't apply to you, or if you have no idea what that is, you can delete this daemon.
com.apple.mobile.obliteration.plist - This daemon wipes the data partition of your device. This will be used if you remotely wipe your phone via Exchange, or if you use Settings > General > Reset, or if you set our device to wipe itself after a certain number of failed passcode entries. If you don't use these features, you can delete this daemon.
com.apple.AOSNotification.plist - This daemon deals with MobileMe syncing. If you do not use the MobileMe service, you can disable this.
com.apple.AdminLite.plist - This daemon tries to return control of your device to you if it thinks that you are waiting for a lengthly process to respond. It does this by force-quitting the process, so if you're tired of your apps crashing and you would rather wait a few seconds for them to finish what they're doing, disable this daemon.
com.apple.searchd.plist - Disables Spotlight search if removed. The Spotlight page will still be there, but nothing will show up when you start typing. Disable this daemon if you don't use Spotlight
com.apple.livetrace.plist - MobileMe tracking daemons. Delete this if you dont use MobileMe.
com.apple.mediaremoted - Allows the music buttons to be used to control 3rd Party apps(I.e. Pandora) Remove if you don't use the controls for apps.
com.apple.mediacontrold.plist - Music controls. Disabling this will disable backgrounded music controls, but you can still listen to music.
com.apple.mediaremoted.alt.plist - Music controls. Disabling this will disable backgrounded music controls, but you can still listen to music
com.apple.search.appindexer.plist - Indexes apps when they are installed so you can search them. Delete if you dont want that or dont use spotlight at all.
com.apple.printd.plist - Disables AirPrint feaure. Remove if you dont use AirPrint

Device-Specific Daemons

com.apple.CommCenter.plist - Deals with making and receiving phone calls and connecting to the cellular data network. iPod touch users and wifi-only iPad users (confirmed on the first-gen iPod, assumed on all the others) can delete this daemon with no adverse effects. iPhone and iPad 3G users should not delete this daemon under any circumstances.
com.apple.awd_ice2.plist - Apparently only affects the iPhone 3G and 3GS. It's not known what its function is on those devices, however, so remove this daemon at your own risk.
com.apple.awd_ice3.plist - Only affects the iPhone 4. It's not known what its function is on the iPhone 4, however, so remove it at your own risk.
com.apple.aggregated.plist - It is believed that this performs some function related to Audio-In. If you have an iPod touch and do not intend to use Audio-In, disable this. iPhone users should leave this alone.

Leave-Alone Daemons

com.apple.mobile.Lockdown.plist - Deals with SIM authorization and other important things.
com.apple.fairplayd.plist - This checks the DRM on your legitimately-acquired music and apps.
com.apple.installd.plist - Deals with app installation.
com.apple.BTServer.plist - If this daemon is disabled, your device will become extremely slow and unresponsive.
com.apple.configd+pm.plist - Deals with system configuration.
com.apple.configd-pm.plist - Also deals with system configuration.
com.apple.gmmd.plist - A debugging service for your device.
com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist - DNS. Disable this, and your Internet is completely gone.
com.apple.locationd.plist - Deals with GPS and location.
com.apple.mediaserverd.plist - Plays your music and videos.
com.apple.usbptpd.plist - Allows your device to connect to your computer and charge.
com.apple.mtmergeprops.plist - Appears to have something to do with the touchscreen. After deleting this daemon, the screen becomes unresponsive.
com.apple.SCHelper-embedded.plist - Appears to be a part of the SystemConfiguration framework. NOt recommended deleting. If some brave soul wants to try it, go ahead and report back.
com.apple.SpringBoard.plist - This daemon ensures that SpringBoard launches when you turn your device on. Without this daemon, SpringBoard will not launch. Also, this daemon ensures that you are able to respring your device. If you disable this daemon and attempt to respring, the SpringBoard process will be killed but will not start again.
com.apple.mobile.lockbot.plist - This daemon's function is currently unknown, but deleting forces you to restore as a result.
com.apple.itdbprep.plist - Based on the name, this has something to do with syncing music to your device.

Jailbreak Daemons

com.bigboss.sbsettingsd.plist - Related to SBSettings. I would suggest leaving it alone.
com.imalc.insomnia.plist - Used to keep Insomnia running through resprings and reboots. If you don't want it to do that, disable this.
com.mxweas.MxT2d.plist - The daemon that allows MxTube to download videos in the background.If disabled, the application will need to be reinstalled; however, if you don't use MxTube and are too lazy to uninstall it, you can disable this daemon.
com.saurik.Cydia.Startup.plist - It's believed that this daemon deals with the AutoInstall trick for installing .deb files. If you don't know what that is and you don't use it, you can disable this daemon.
org.nodomain.scrobbled.plist - The Scrobbler daemon. Disable this if you don't want your
music scrobbled anymore.

Always, always, always do a backup before deleting the .plist, so that in the case of cases you can out them back on your devices with permissions 0755!

If someone has some more daemons pm me and I will add them.
This list consists of several other launchdaemons list. My trial was to make a complete one.
And again, some smart guy could try to make an app to delete daemons( maybe at the ios setup?)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 02:33:22 PM by realblack7 »

Offline apple 3g

• www.whited00r.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 07:41:51 PM »
does this list  ok with whitedoor 5.1 . also i have a iphone 3g whitedoor 5.1 unlocked version . i do this about 2 years ago on my iphone when i was on ios 4.0.1 . so can i remove the safe daemons on whitedorr 5.1 ?

Offline apple 3g

• www.whited00r.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 07:52:49 PM »
but wait i search all the dameons file on the iphone and find only the daemon for spotlight so i back it up and removed it . is this normal on whitedoor 5.1 ?

Offline PrisoneR

• Risk of Hatred
  • SuperHero Member
  • ^ thats me -_-
    • View Profile
    • whited00r
  • Device: Does Not Own iDevice ARMv6
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 08:13:12 PM »
if you have installed whited00r 5.1 almost the useless daemons are removed....
and if you want to disable the safe daemons
just use
Code: [Select]
su
alpine
./Configurator
it will ask you questions about...and d which functions you want or not and disable the daemons for you.....

btw yeah removing spotlight removes the search function if you dont use and its ok....
(also please dont double post)

Offline blk

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 04:48:40 PM »
I delete those daemons and now my phone is in recovery mode? ??? ?

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Linux
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 09:57:53 PM »
I delete those daemons and now my phone is in recovery mode? ??? ?
Welcome to the forums! :)

Did you make a backup of the folder/daemons you disabled?  Actually, even if you did, you need to restore if you are stuck in recovery mode :/

Offline blk

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 11:23:24 PM »
But how do i restore it if i can't even get to the system due to the recovery mode

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Linux
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 11:47:51 PM »
But how do i restore it if i can't even get to the system due to the recovery mode
That's why I corrected myself :/   I said you do need to restore anyway even if you do have  a backup :(

I have an idea for a tool that gets around that and acts as a failsafe, but I don't have enough knowledge to make it right now :(

So, you need to restore :/